Top 4 Legal Questions Regarding Personal Injury
- How do I know if I need a personal injury lawyer?
- For long-term or permanently disabling injuries;
- or, because of the severity of your injuries;
- or, because an insurance company refuses to settle a matter in good faith
- some examples of personal injury claims are: medical malpractice, toxic exposure, when insurance companies refuse to pay and severe injuries that require compensation
- What type of damages can I get?
- Most personal injury claims receive compensatory damages, meaning the damages compensate the injured plaintiff for what was lost due to the injury
- If the defendant’s conduct was particularly awful or careless, punitive damages may be awarded
- Be mindful of comparative negligence and contributory negligence. Check with a local attorney to see if those apply to you.
- Is too late to sue?
- Depending on the type of injury you suffered and the laws in your state, there may be a short amount of time in which to file a lawsuit
- If you fail to file a claim before the statute of limitations runs you may be prevented from receiving compensation for your injuries
- How much is my case worth?
- It is nearly impossible to predict the value of a case until all the information has been collected
- Here are a few factors that can help influence the value of a case:
- The amount and length of medical treatment
- Economic hardship or financial loss
- Extent of physical and mental pain and suffering
- Amount of income or other employment benefits that were lost as a result of your injury
- Physical impairment and/or disfigurement
- Will I have to go to court?
- Most personal injury claims can be settled through negotiation, mediation or arbitration, without having to go to court.
- That does not mean that the process will be quick or inexpensive. These matters can often take more than a year to resolve.
- Some cases, do, require a trial.
blog Car Accident Lawyer, personal injury, Personal Injury Lawyer
Bookmark the permalink
. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.