Modification or Termination of PSS or Alimony

Often times people wonder if there is any way to modify or terminate post separation support or alimony. North Carolina General Statute §50-16.9 indicates that there is. The first ground for termination of these claims would be a finding that there has been a resumption of marital relations. If both parties are holding them out to the world as husband and wife again, rather than having isolated incidents of sexual intercourse between the parties, then this could be grounds for termination.

Other grounds for termination or modification can include remarriage or cohabitation of the dependent spouse with another person or upon the death of either of the two parties.

In order to modify alimony under NCGS §50-16.9(c), there must be a showing to the court that there have been changed circumstances. Typically this involves some kind of financial change in circumstances unless you are trying to terminate alimony for any of the reasons listed above.

If you feel like you are entitled to or no longer liable to pay alimony, reach out to a family lawyer today to help you assess the situation and to assist you with moving forward with your claim.

No matter what your situation is, we will give you prompt attention, regular updates, and clear explanations regarding developments in your case. Call us anytime at (919)-335-5291 for a consultation with a lawyer.

  • Matheson & Associates employs a skilled set of attorneys and support staff to ensure our clients zealous and determined representation. Whether you are facing a DWI or other criminal charges, need help forming a business, or just need someone representing your interests in a personal injury claim, Matheson & Associates is prepared and eager to be your advocate. We have experience representing hundreds of clients and we are dedicated to total client satisfaction. Call us today for a Consultation and find out why so many trust Matheson & Associates to represent their needs.