We have all been there. You are riding along when suddenly blue lights flash in your rearview mirror. You get a sick feeling at the pit of your stomach and wonder what it is you have done and what it will mean for you.
Do not worry, most North Carolina Traffic Citations can easily be handled by Traffic Ticket Lawyer Raleigh M. Moseley Matheson with little to no consequence beyond court costs and fines. Mr. Matheson can help you, depending on your driving record, to avoid insurance rate hikes in most of the more common charges. In fact, in certain instances there is the possibility of having the charges dismissed completely. So, whether you got a speeding ticket in North Carolina, or some other traffic ticket, and you are searching for Raleigh Traffic Attorneys, contact the Matheson & Associates to discuss your ticket for free.
Below are some recommendations on what to do when you are being pulled over.
- First, ease your vehicle over to a safe location as soon as is reasonably possible.
- Do not jerk the steering wheel or brake suddenly.
- When the officer approaches your vehicle; BE POLITE. Remember, they are just doing their job.
- While being polite, do not admit to anything. Statements made during your stop can be used against you.
- If you are asked incriminating questions, you could respond, “I respect what you do officer, but I respectfully refuse to answer that question.”
- If the officer asks to search your vehicle, politely refuse. REMEMBER you are under NO obligation to consent to a search of your vehicle; however an officer may decide he or she has grounds to search your car without your consent, and in those cases, be polite and unobtrusive.
- Even though most people think they have nothing to hide, you should still refuse to give consent when asked. Think about all the times you have had someone else ride in your vehicle, or borrow your car, or left it unlocked, or even who had access to your car before you bought it. You can not be absolutely certain contraband has not made it’s way into your vehicle somehow. Even though the contraband is not yours, it will be very hard to prove. If the contraband is in a vehicle you are in possession of, it is presumed to be yours.
- Once the stop is completed, merge back into traffic safely without causing any disturbance (kicking up gravel or peeling out) and contact Raleigh Traffic Attorney, M. Moseley Matheson at 919-335-5291 for your FREE CONSULTATION.